QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Tuesday 19 June 2012

A Journey to My First Marathon Part 5

Coming to the next problem..how to track my running distance on the road? I know there are those Garmin watches. The GPS watch which can track your distance and your pace which I have seen in magazines before. But I do not intend to get one at the moment because they are kind of pricey. What happen if I gave up running after two months. Another white elephant !

Since I got an IPhone, the logical thing is look for an app on that. There is an app for everything even to track your constipation or diarrhea. (Wonder if there is one?) ITunes store again...and there are actually a few and some are free. One commonly used and it is free is MapMyRun. I read through a few reviews and decided on Runmeter which cost USD2.99. It is really a comprehensive app which can track your route, time and distances. You can create multiple route and key them in manually if you want to. For treadmill runs I have to key them manually so I can track my run time and distance. The website for Runmeter is http://www.abvio.com/runmeter.



Screen Capture of the Runmeter

A great piece of app and I am ready for my run on Sunday. But I have to carry my IPhone for my run. The good part is the IPhone is like a Swiss army knife who has everything. The problem is that it is not small and light. It is not comfortable running with a normal waist pouch because it will bounce up and down. This will drive me crazy. The good thing about the IPhone is all my running songs are also there. Then I started to look at my running shorts and at last I found one who has a pocket right at the centre near the spine area and big enough for an IPhone. So I am ready to run !

Got my first long distance run logged in at 1:20mins for a 9.3km run with an average pace of 8.36mins/km. Pretty happy with the first long run and tracking the distance. The next long run has to be 11km and will be more than 1:20 mins. Drinking water become an issue !! It is difficult to run long distance without drinking water. You run the risk of dehydration.

Next...Have to consult my friend on this...Or Just dig through the Internet again...

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment