QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Monday 18 June 2012

A Journey to My First Marathon Part 2

Running up the middle span for the second time is one of the toughest run I have ever done. It is really more like a "crawl". The thought of "The Hare and Tortoise" story crosses my mind. Will I make it in 3 and a half hour for the medal? Or should I just start walking for the rest of the race? But my positive mantra of "I must never stop running" kept me going. Slow and slowly I ran...up and down the middle span. It is still a very long way to the finishing line. The water stops only served water and 100 plus and no food in sight. I was damn hungry !! Tired and hungry at the same time.

I have never ran so slow in my life until I notice that people were walking faster than my running. This is tortoise speed. The finishing of 3 and a half hour crossed my mind. A bridge too far I supposed. At that moment, I was passing some flats and I heard the morning prayers from a nearby mosque and I knew it was about 5.45am. The finishing line was not far from there. I have to dig deep into any reserve energy that I have left in a hungry stomach. Yes, at last I saw the turning into Queensbay Mall the final stretch to the finishing mark. A guy who has finished and holding a medal was walking along the final stretch shouted at us "Run, you are about to finish". That kind of add petrol to an empty fuel tank and I just ran as fast as I could to the finishing line. Finishing in 3 hrs and 10mins. 20 mins to spare to get my medal !! The "Thortoise" finished the race, YEAH !! It is nice when the volunteer hang the medal over your neck.


My finishing medal 

After the race, the first thing I look for is FOOD!! Never been so hungry in my life. So many runners were queueing up for food at the kiosk. Luckily there was one kiosk without queueing because they only give bananas. Beggars can't be choosers. I took 3 bananas and finished them immediately. I am just hungry beyond words. 3 hours 10 mins is such a long run. Took me 3 months to get over the fear of running after the run. Running for a marathon, no way....it will take me more than 6 hours !! Although technically you are given 7 hours to finish the race. Can't imagine myself wanting to run more than 6 hours on the road. Running a half marathon is already such a torture. Why would anybody want to "Embrace the Suck" again...

But what makes me run again? Not only run but running a marathon...

To be continued....


No comments:

Post a Comment