QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Monday 29 April 2013

Island Ocean Marathon, Langkawi Part 2

Thanks to Vivien Tay for the photo. At the last 1.5km of the run. 

Waking up early morning and have to be at the starting point before 4am. The marathon starts at 4.30am. There are about 1,000 runners and a lot of Singapore runners came for this event. This event should be called an ultramarathon as we have to run more than 42.195km as the organiser has planned an extra 1km of running on the beach of Pantai Cenang. Most runners are more at the relaxed pace in the beginning. There will always be a competitive spirit among many of them chasing for their PB (personal best).

Thanks to Vivien Tay for the group photo before the run.

I started at the far back as usual and joining the crowd. There is a fireworks at the start. Running on the road and already there is a slope not far from the start. After a short distance, we are required to take a left turn and running an extra 1km on the beach. That's when the route gets a bit dark at times. Fortunately, I have brought a clip-on flashlight used by ultramarathoners which Andrew has loaned me. One lady actually trip and fall on the beach as there was a stone on the beach.

After that it was back to road running again to the Langkawi airport. This is another dark stretch of roads. The consolation is due to the darkness you can see the bright stars in the skies. Have not been seeing that for quite a while living in the city. This is one run that I have not bothered to look at the pace from start right to the end. I have only looked at the distance and time. Totally disregarding the pace ! It is a run for fun and not for PB. If I take longer to finish my race I get more value for my marathon registration fee.

Then it was running on the road along the beach which is the most cooling part of the run with the sea breeze.  However, without mobile toilets, it is pretty inconvenient for the ladies. The guys just dart off on the side of the road in the dark. At the 18km mark, the sky starts to get bright and time for a photo shoot. I have carried my mobile phone in my spibelt so as to take photos along the course. The amazing part is I actually did some photo editing and immediately upload to Facebook during the race. It is live reporting of the event during the run.


The rolling hills actually started from 18km up to 35km. I lost count the number of hills that I ran.  I think probably five in total just for this stretch. These hills are definitely not my friend. And it showed my lack of training on hills at this point of the race. End up with lots of walking up the slopes and then running down. One of the water stations offer big bananas and the surprise is the coconut at the 29km. And I was telling one young couple, at a marathon the race actually starts at 30km. That's when you know whether your body will hold up. Also at the 25km distance marker, there is a message on it that said "You entered a marathon with hills ? You Idiot." Kind of rubbing it in. Calling us an idiot.

Coconuts at 29km

But it is really a tough route. That's where the first time marathoners may really start to walk at this point and right to the end. I heard some first timers finishes at more than 8 to 10 hours for this run. I am really not surprised. My personal opinion is this marathon is not for first timer, or even second timer like me. We are still trying to tune our body to run a marathon and rolling hills are definitely too tough at this time. It would be ideal for those who has run a few marathons and looking for more unique experiences.

The hills are over !

At the highest point of 35km, a volunteer was telling us this is the highest point of the course and the rest will be flat. I was telling him, " Torture over is it ? ". We actually drive past this part of the course the day before and I was already telling myself to walk the slopes and run down if I have to. There is actually another slope at the end of the course before you reach the finishing point. Coming down the slopes at 36km, the only thing in my mind is walk and walk. I am just running out of momentum to run with the scorching sun at that time of the day.  That's when Andrew and Jun Liang appear in the vehicle which we rented. There were probably wondering where I am after so long. But they keep seeing my posting on Facebook and the last one was at the 35km. So Andrew accompany me to run/walk about 3km and at 39km water station, we have Coke which I was dying for at this point with the blistering heat !

Struggling at the last 1.5km of the run. Did you notice the ice cream on my right hand?

For the last 2km, I just dig deep and run the all the way with Jun Liang accompanying me. I just realised it is so nice to have running companion when the marathon gets tough. Three of us run to finished line and both of them run it twice since they have already completed theirs. Finishing with a time of 6:37 and my moving time is 6:01. So almost 36 minutes on water stations, taking photos and facebooking.

Running to the finishing line. My 2nd marathon completed.

On our way to the ferry, there are still participants on the route. We actually wind-down our windows and clap for them. It is already more than 9 hours and they are still not quitting. We later find out that the last participant came in at 11:40 hours. A never give up attitude. That's the spirit of the marathon !

Double thumbs up for finishing 

I was telling Andrew when I was struggling at the last 5 km, I told him "Don't worry ! I will finish it." The mental toughness coming at the right moment. On our way back to Kuala Kedah on the ferry, we met a group of runners from Penang going back. A few of them was first timers and took more than 10 hours to complete the race due to lack of training. There is one guy who run it for his wife's birthday. He carried a banner "Running for XXXX. Happy birthday." He told us he cramped 3 times along the course and was given medication to ease the cramp. The volunteer ask him "Do you want to take the car ?". He says "No. I have to finish it." He finish it in more than 8 hours. What a touching moment ! Probably bringing his wife to tears.
Hard earned Finisher's Medal of IOM


IOM is a hilly course but well organised event with fireworks at the start, energy gels, bananas, coconuts, Gatorade, Revive, Coke, Red Bull and ice-cream along the course. This marathon is not a race but an event to be with friends or meet new friends and enjoy the scenic view of Langkawi.


No comments:

Post a Comment