QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Monday 5 November 2012

Tokyo and Kyoto. Adding salt to the wound. Part 2

Temple at Asakusa.
Have a good night sleep and hope to wake up with a painless leg. The first thing I wake up I thought the pain on the left leg is not there until I moved my leg. The pain is still there. It is just that if you don't moved it, it is not painful. If I pressed softly against the calf, still painful. Have to try to walk and see what happens. So slowly get out of bed, putting my feet on the ground. Standing up and start to walk. It is no good. The calf is still painful when I walked. I have to walk with my right leg and slowly dragging my left leg. I will have to work two steps and slowly for one step.


Breakfast at Starbucks, Kyoto
It was raining outside and I switched on TV, realising that the weather was bad around the area. Anyway, it is difficult to do any temples visiting in the rain. Better to take more rest and after that going to Starbucks just next to the hotel for breakfast. With the rain and the condition of my leg, visiting temples will be out of the question. Will have a hard time climbing up and down those steps. Decided to go to the Kyoto station earlier and just walk around Isetan Departmental Stores at Kyoto station and do some shopping. Since it is easier to limp around in a shopping complex.



Walk into one of the pharmacy at the Kyoto station. Spoke to the elderly pharmacists, "Sumimasen. I have really bad cramp on my left calf. (Pointing to my calf). Any medications for it?" The elderly pharmacists guided me to right shelves selling all those medications. Looking and deciding, finally decided on a roll-on type and the medications doesn't smell. Immediately, applying it. Hope that it can recover within a day. Forget about thinking of running in Japan. My grand plan of running in Yoyogi park is out of the window. Just hope that the injury doesn't get worsed and I can walk for the rest of the four days in Japan.
Ueno Park, Tokyo
Fresh seafood at Tsukiji
Going back by shinkansen in the afternoon to Tokyo, I have still been able to limp around visiting Ginza and the Shinjuku area where the hotel was. The pain was quite bad when I walk down the stairs. I was trying to use the lift and escalators as much as possible. With a limping left leg, I still managed for  three days to visit Tsukiji, Akibahara, Ueno Park, temples at Asakusa, Tokyo Skytree, Shibuya, Ginza and on last day to Odaiba. Odaiba is actually an artificial island connected by the rainbow bridge at central Tokyo.

Views at Ueno Park
Sakura Boulevard at Ueno Park in Autumn. 1,000 sakura trees with no sakura.
No smoking in public places. Designated smoking zone at Akibahara

I wouldn't wanted to visit a doctor because if it is a muscle tear and it just need time to heal. The cost of visit to the doctor which I know will be expensive since it is in Japan. As I have travel and medical  insurance covered so the cost is not the major problem. What I am afraid most is the doctor will generally advised you not to walk. Which I cannot afford not to walk as I am here to travel. I just have to bear with the pain and limping around. Fortunately, it gets better each day until the day I was schedule to fly back on Friday evening. However, until Friday I still experience pain in the calf and was still limping.

Shibuya. Shopping area for the young
Apple store at Ginza

Temple at Asakusa
No running for so many days and my marathon is less than 3 weeks away. When I am back to Malaysia on Saturday, the pain in the calf is still there. Just have to rest a few more days. I try to rest until Tuesday or Wednesday to see if the pain is still there. Eventually, have to rest until Wednesday. That is 15 days of complete no running. And there is still a slight pain in my calf. Must give it a try on Thursday morning and see if I can run with this pain in the calf which most people will object if you ask. Just worried that it will aggravate the injury.  If I cannot run, I can really say sayonnara to 7 months of training and my first marathon. Even if I can run, can I get my speed and endurance back on time, since it is only 17 days left to the Penang Bridge Marathon and it is 15 days of zero running. Keeping my fingers crossed for the run on Thursday morning.



Sunset view from Tokyo Skytree

Tokyo Skytree at night


Replica of Statute of Liberty and Rainbow Bridge at Odaiba

No comments:

Post a Comment