QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Monday 21 January 2013

Views of Mengkuang Dam and My trip to Injury Land

I have been having this nagging pain in my hip after my PBIM 2012. But it has not been serious and I have been ignoring it for the past 2 months. The problem with running and especially long distance running, the injury always seem to be not far away. As you increase your speed and mileage, a perfect pair of legs start to have pain here and there. At times, it is just sore muscles or a little ache and pains.

Mengkuang Dam. My usual running route for my long runs. A great place to run.

This time the nagging pain in the hip eventually flare up to a few painful runs. Most people nowadays google when there is an injury or illness. A doctor has told me that the patients came to visit them with tons of information that they have printed from the internet. Obviously, the patients will not print the information now, they just showed it to you on their IPad. The advancement of technology ! The googling of the pain in the hip brings me to a conclusion that it is mostly like a hip bursitis.

One of the flat route of Mengkuang Dam
View of the Dam
Another View of Mengkuang Dam

I have been increasing my speed after the PBIM and running in mostly my Brooks Pure Connect. Then I started to increase my mileage at the same time and maintaining the speed. This means I have to run longer and faster. I have signed up for Island Ocean Marathon. The training cycle of 16 weeks is starting. The mileage will pile up after every week. This small nagging pain which comes on and off eventually starts to flare up. So I was trying to diagnose my own body to see if the pain comes from the shoes or increase in mileage.

Eventually I discovered that the Brooks Pure Connect causes the pain even after a 3km run. And the Merrell Trail Glove which is basically a barefoot running shoe does not cause the pain even after a 5km run. The Brooks Pure Connect is supposed to be a minimalist shoes but still too much cushioning for me and causes my hips to move too much. I have run in my Merrell Trail Glove in two half marathons and a full marathon.  It looks I can only run in barefoot shoes and no longer in minimalist shoes. May have to go for complete barefoot running and save money on the shoes too !

 View of Bukit Mertajam Hill in the background at Mengkuang Dam
Then the last weekend I was supposed to go for a 16km run at Mengkuang Dam. This time I ran in my Merrell. I ran the first 7km with not much problem and Mengkuang has a patch of hilly slopes and after the hilly slopes the pain in the hip is back ! And it is pretty painful and I just have to stop. So I took a  long walked back to the entrance after a 7.5km run. And it is still painful when I walked. But when I reach the entrance, the pain has eased quite a bit. So I did what other crazy runners will do. I ran again for another 2km on the flat surface. The pain however is more bearable. Which probably means I can't run on hills at the moment and should actually take a short break and let the injury heals. Keep running through pain is not a smart move. Then I asked Andrew "How do you restrain yourself from running through injury?" (which runners has problem controlling themselves). Andrew answered, " Hang up your running shoes and cry at home". Very funny !

Another view of Mengkuang Dam

Fortunately the hip pain does not occurred when I walked. The wise thing to do is rest for a few days and fill my time with other exercises. Have to go cycling, swimming and weight training at the gym. NO running for the next few days. I guess I may swing into depression after the third day. That's a runner's life. But the most important thing is "I have to believe I will run again !!!".

A Three legged dog running at Mengkuang Dam





No comments:

Post a Comment