QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Monday 24 September 2012

Races, Races, Races

Have been reading quite a lot of running blogs lately especially from Malaysians. Most of the running blogs do a race recap of their races they have run. Oh boy! The number of races that they do in a year were so many. These three runners blogs I have been reading, the three guys all completed their first marathon in 2011.

One of them started serious running in 2010 which he has entered about 5 races. And he did his first marathon in 2011 and 13 races in total for that year. In 2012 up till 21 Sept, he has done 14 races and one full marathon.

There is another guy who did 7 races in 2011 including two marathons and one of them is his first marathon in 2011. He has done 16 races so far in 2012 out of which 3 of them are full marathons.

The 3rd guy is a real running fanatic. He completed his full marathon in 2011. He has done 15 races in 2010. 29 races in 2011 including 6 marathons (and his first marathon) and 23 races so far for 2012. In 2012 he has done 2 ultras including "The Most Beautiful Thing"(TMBT) a 100km ultra trail marathon in Sabah which has just been completed.

Generally, most of them increase the races by almost 100% or more after their first marathon. It is like if I can run a full marathon I will be able to run all races. Or could it be most runners are just chasing their PB(personal best). It is just the human nature to take on a personal challenge to keep improving themselves. However,  it is still an inspiration to read about their first marathon experience and their subsequent running experiences. For myself, I just think it will be too many races for me to handle.

After my Green Run/Larian Hijau, there are actually quite a number of races line up till the Penang Bridge International Marathon in November. There are the SP Half Marathon and Taiping International Marathon which is closer to Penang. So you can just drive there, finished the race and drive back. I was just trying to concentrate on training for my first marathon and not interested to squeeze in so many races in between.  Fortunately, I didn't participate in both events as the feedback on both events are pretty bad. The Taiping International Marathon was named the most horrible experience and one runner actually "Pui Chau Nuai"(spit on it) in Hokkien. The race director also withdraw from organising it the next year.

Another runner blog that I have come across is an American guy who started running at the age of 58 and his weight drop from 193 pounds in June 2008 to 143 pounds in September 2009. In his blog for this 4th Anniversary as a runner, he wrote, "Since then I decided to keep running, and in those four years I've run a total of 190 races (including 41 half marathons and a couple of full marathons). If everything holds up my goal for the next year is to run 60 races (kind of like "60 at 60" since I'm 60 years old) and reach my 5th anniversary having run 250 races for an average of 50 per year. I'm not sure if I can do that but I'll give it a shot and see." And his PB for half marathon is 1:31. That's very impressive !

Big Buddha in Hong Kong

For me, my first overseas marathon I would like it to be the Hong Kong Marathon. Not Singapore Marathon although Singapore is much nearer.  The Hong Kong Marathon is organised usually after the Chinese New Year and in winter. The cooler weather will be more ideal for running. Hong Kong is the easiest for me to access to a country with four seasons since they are cheaper flights directly from Penang to Hong Kong. And you could get good food for carbo-loading. In addition, Hong Kong has one of the best night skylines in the world. I don't mind visiting it again although my last trip to Hong Kong is in 2011. The food and shopping is just great ! But it is too early to dream about it.



Night Skyline of Hong Kong



Night Skyline of Hong Kong from the top


No comments:

Post a Comment