QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Monday 10 September 2012

Coffee, Caffeine and Running

Coffee at Melbourne.

Are you a coffee person ? Do you need caffeine booster for your run? The answer for me is yes. I don't need coffee everyday but I sure like coffee. I have gone from latte to Americano (Expresso with added water) with no sugar and milk. I have learned to enjoy coffee with nothing added. This is where instant coffee failed as they usually are more bitter without sugar and creamer.

For my morning runs, I only learn to run on an empty stomach. I heard it is good if you want to shed some weight running on an empty stomach. But at times, in the evening after visiting my favorite coffee chain, I realise I could run faster on a treadmill. For Sunday long runs, I always drank a bit of coffee before the run. I think I need to be caffeinated before the run. There have been various studies on the effect on caffeine and sports performance. I realise I run better with caffeine. Even the sports gel comes with caffeine or non caffeine. This is an articled on active.com called "Caffeinated Runner", http://www.active.com/running/Articles/The_Caffeinated_Runner.htm which tells you about caffeine and running. Just remember that caffeine is diuretic which means it increase your urine production which you may have to visit the toilet.

For the countries that I have travelled to, Australia and Vietnam served one of the best coffee. Even Starbucks have problem setting a strong foothold in these countries. The last time I was in Vietnam, there are no Starbucks and there are not many Starbucks outlets in Melbourne. The local coffee joints are just too good.

My recent trip to Bali, we were introduced to Luwak coffee which is obtained from the droppings of the mountain cat and it is very costly. I have tried this "shit coffee" at Bali. Personally, I don't really feel the aroma of the Luwak coffee is that good.
Luwak coffee from the droppings of mountain cats in Bali


Cafe at Melbourne and the nice cupcakes


The Royal Botanic Gardens which is great place to run in Melbourne. For the loop around the garden, they actually provide water statios and  lightings completely around the route. The lightings will be switched on  from 6am to 12 midnight. So they really encouraged people to engage in a healthy lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment