QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Monday 2 July 2012

Boston Legal or Boston Marathon?

Before I started on my marathon journey, the only thing I heard of Boston is Boston Consulting and of course Boston Legal. Never knew there is such a famous marathon called Boston Marathon who goes into the History of Marathon.


Let me start with Boston Legal first on the lighter side. Boston Legal is a 5 seasons comedy/drama about a legal firm, Crane, Poole & Schmidt. I watch almost all the 5 seasons all at once which I am not sure whether it was ever shown on Malaysian television. The famous characters are Alan Shore (James Spader) and Denny Crane (William Shatner) which they end up getting married at the end of Season 5. (spoiler !) This TV series is full of funny scenes and Alan Shore's closing arguments are soooo looonngggg at times, you can finish running a marathon and he will still be talking. I wonder how he breathe when he makes a closing argument. And William Shatner we know him as Captain Kirk from Star Trek. I would love to watch all the 5 seasons again when I have more time on my hand.

And now about the Boston Marathon. After I have been listening and researching about marathons then I come across the famous Boston Marathon which begin in 1897. The oldest annual marathon inspired by the first modern-day marathon in 1896 Summer Olympics. The Boston Marathon comes with qualifying times. So it is pretty tough to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Qualifying times for 2013 Boston Marathon

However, qualifying for Boston is on many marathon maniacs wish list.  As Boston being the oldest annual marathon on earth. Women are also not officially allowed in the Boston Marathon until 1972. And in 1967, the famous incident where Katherine Switzer registered as "K.V. Switzer" was the first woman who run the race with a race number. She finished the race but the race director was trying to ripped off her the race number and eject her from the race.


Another famous incident at the Boston Marathon is in 1982, "Duel in the Sun" where Dick Beardsley and Alberto Salazar race neck to neck to the finish.  This is believe to be the most thrilling Boston Marathon ever run. There is a book with the same title about the race.

I have finished watching Boston Legal, how about the Boston Marathon? For time being, it is not on my bucket list when the qualifying time seems to be a bridge too far.




No comments:

Post a Comment