QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Tuesday 31 July 2012

A Journey to My First Marathon Part 11

I have been using Runmeter as my apps on my IPhone 4S to track my distance, time and pace. But carrying an IPhone around is really not a convenient thing to do. You have to either wear it on a armband or you have to put in a pocket. Both ways are not convenient to keep looking at it. However, I was using the Runmeter for a couple of months and have been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 610, the touch screen GPS watch.

So I look it up from the internet but it cost more than RM1,200 which I am not willing to fork out at this time. Just too big an investment. Until one day, I received the Rewards Catalogue from Citibank for 2012 and I saw that one of the item is the Garmin Forerunner 610. I have to fastrack and pay about RM500 to redeem it as I do not have enough points. The watch came a few days later together with a heart rate monitor and it was a right decision to purchase the GPS watch. It is much convenient to track your pace and distance as compared to the IPhone apps. And when it rains carrying an IPhone can be pretty inconvenient.


The other main convenience of the Garmin GPS watch is that you can easily start and stop the watch which is an important feature. There are a lot of features for this watch which I have not fully explore like virtual partner, interval training..and many more. It is great watch for running. And it has Garmin Connect which will store your run data on the internet.


Screen capture of the Garmin Connect on my run

I have once done a comparison of the reading of my Garmin watch and the Runmeter to see the discrepancies.  There is a slight discrepancies between the distance and the the pace. 
Currently, I uses both the Garmin watch for the running and the Runmeter to keep my running log. The running log is useful for me to review my runs over a period of time. My personal opinion is that the GPS watch is really a useful piece of equipment if you are doing long distance running.



My next discovery...the new earbuds for running...To be continued.....


No comments:

Post a Comment