QUOTES

"If you run into a wall, climb it, go through it or work around it"
Michael Jordan

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Winston Churchill

"Life is full of surprises. Just remember that the glass is always half full and not half empty"

Friday 19 July 2013

The First Malaysian to conquer The Badwater 135 Ultramarathon

Ng Seow Kong before the start of The Badwater 135 Ultramarathon. Photo obtained from his FB page. 

This is the guy who inspired me to run my first marathon. He is such a low profile guy who has achieved a number of amazing feats on foot. I have written about him on my blog twice. The first time I mentioned about him was on A Journey to My First Marathon Part 3. I didn't mentioned his name. The second time was on Ultramarathons also did not mentioned his name but I provided his Facebook page. He is the one who keep me thinking if he can run more than 100 km why can't I run 42km.  He is also the one who introduce me to the book "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall. 

I was very excited knowing that he will be doing the Badwater 135 from his FB page. I have heard about the Badwater 135 from the Marathon Training Academy's podcasts especially on the interview with Dean Karnazes. I was aware that The Badwater 135 has described itself as "the world's toughest foot race" due to the distance ie 135 miles (217 km)  and the heat which was held in California's Death Valley in July. The temperature can soar to more than 49 deg Celsius. 

I keep checking the Badwater website to monitor his progress. I actually wake up in the middle night to see if he has reached the 90 miles mark. When I found out finally that he has completed the whole race in 42:51:40. I was really excited. I was almost glued to the results most of the time.  I immediately congratulated him on Facebook. Although he has been away from Malaysia for more than 30 years, he has entered every race as a Malaysian. And he make proud us to be one. He makes us feel "Malaysia Boleh!. And he has completed more than 100 marathons/ultramarathons in 55 cities and in 31 countries/states. 


Seow Kong's finishing time

He is such an inspiration to runners !  

Seow Kong's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/seowkong.ng. I am unable to write about him in just a blog. You should visit his FB page if you want to know more about him. Get inspired !

No comments:

Post a Comment